Yes. I realize I have completely complicated what could otherwise be a very simple title. But it’s just that this macaroni salad is deceptively good. You’ll look at it, and think, Uh, huh. Macaroni Salad. What’s new? But when you take that first bite, you’re going to think, Oh!
This is our standard summer “what can I bring?” dish. It is a good companion dish to just about anything you’d have at a barbecue. I brought it to our friends’ house with French Dip sandwiches recently (and thank you for taking pictures of the leftovers for me, Samantha :)), and I’ve served it with ribs, and kebobs, and brisket, and burgers. It’s just a good little recipe to have around.
Very Easy, Very Good Macaroni Salad
- 1 box ditalini pasta (little short tubes … see picture below)
- 1-2 cups medium cheddar, diced in very small pieces
- 1 can black olives, diced
- 1 medium or 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- about three medium pickles, diced
- splash of juice from pickle jar
- dash of cayenne (maybe two dashes … this is, of course, optional)
- about 2 tsp of dried dill or 1 TBSP fresh dill
- several healthy dashes of garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- mayonnaise to hold it all together
Cook the pasta until al dente. You really, really do not want to overcook the pasta or you will have Macaroni Salad Fail. Drain and run under cold water to completely stop the cooking.
Add pasta to everything else except the mayonnaise and stir well. Begin dropping spoonfuls of mayonnaise over all and stir to combine. Add more mayo if necessary. If not dilly enough for you, add another splash of pickle juice and stir well.
That’s it! Enjoy 🙂